Baal Shem Tov, or Besht — the founder of Chasidism —
Ohalah Resolution on Blueprint Negev
Ohalah, the Association of Renewal Rabbis and Cantors, passed the following resolution on Blueprint Negev and the JNF which closely parallels our campaign. Similar resolutions are being discussed in other rabbinical organizations. See also the petition.
1. Commend JNF-US and KKL for their devotion to the Jewish people and the State of Israel and its many projects that restore and honor the Land.
2. Urge that JNF-US inform potential donors about the distinctions between giving to Blueprint Negev and giving to KKL, and about the fact that Blueprint Negev is the JNF-US name for the development projects in the Negev run by different organizations.
3. Urge that JNF-US, KKL and its associate bodies throughout the world advocate for a change in Israeli law to ensure the social and political rights of the Bedouin population and the status of unrecognized villages and recognize the moral responsibility to others dwelling amongst us demanded by our tradition, e.g. to refrain from destroying Bedouin communities to make room for new Jewish towns.
4. Urge that JNF-US refrain from publicizing, promoting, or funding any project which involves the demolition of any Bedouin home or community.
5. Urge that JNF-US or its agents involved in Blueprint Negev provide studies that all environmental concerns have been satisfactorily reviewed from the perspectives of sustainability and social impact by KKL's Sustainability Committee and by other relevant review boards, and that any studies which have been previously completed or will be completed be made publicly.
6. Urge that JNF-US direct Tnuat Or to make full disclosure of all their activities and allocations on the JNF-US and KKL web sites. We also urge JNF-US effect the removal of all language from its promotional materials or the promotional materials of its affiliates that treats the Bedouin as a threat or speaks negatively about the Bedouin, especially from the material of Tnuat Or.
Your synagogue or commmunity group can send a similar letter! See also our petition.
Design in progress © Rabbi David Mevorach Seidenberg 2006